Thursday, December 31, 2009

Mmmm...Homemade Mac 'N Cheese

Went for the ultimate comfort food last night...homemade mac 'n cheese.  Now many of you might be surprised to learn that the only other time I have ever made homemade mac 'n cheese was with my students at school last school year in my after school cooking class.  Imagine that, I taught my kiddos how to make something I had never made before...it was a bit tricky...but it turned out alright in the end. :)  We learned a lot about measuring and taste testing (we put it up against the box you make on the stove) and made predictions about which one we thought we would like better. But I digress...

So last night I was without a dinner plan but I realized I had a whole bunch of different kinds of cheese, macaroni noodles, and Italian bread crumbs...so it was time to experiment.  I've had lots of different kinds of homemade mac 'n cheese but I think this one took the cake.  It was creamy all the way through but each bite was a little different from all the cheeses it gets topped with before you bake it.  Serve this one up next time you need a last minute dinner option...I promise it will be a crowd pleaser!

Lauren's Homemade Mac 'N Cheese
(adapted from Kraft Foods' Velveeta Downhome Macaroni & Cheese)

Start with the recipe for Velveeta Downhome Macaroni & Cheese but when you get to the part about the shredded cheddar, stop and follow along here...

Sprinkle with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack, and 1/2 cup shredded asiago cheese.  Melt 1 Tbls. butter and mix with 4-5 Tbls. Italian bread crumbs.  Sprinkle over top.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes and enjoy!

We'll be eating the leftovers for lunch today...no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment