Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Mostaccioli with Mushrooms and Spinach

Had to stop at the grocery store on my way home from work today as our fridge and freezer were a bit on the sparse side.  This meant I could pick anything I wanted to make for dinner tonight...nice!  I decided to go with one of my favorite pastas that is quick, easy, hearty, and delicious!!  Let's get right down to business, shall we?  Here's the recipe...

Mostaccioli with Mushrooms and Spinach

1 lb. mostaccioli
4 Tbls. butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 lb. sliced mushrooms
2 cups fresh spinach (I usually cheat and put more in)
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
garlic powder to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 lb. grilled (I use my Foreman grill) chicken breasts, sliced (optional)

Prepare mostaccioli according to package instructions.  Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat.  Add onion and saute, stirring frequently, until soft.  Add mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes.  Stir the spinach into the mushroom mixture until spinach is slightly wilted.  Add heavy whipping cream and garlic powder and cook, stirring frequently, until reduced by half.  Remove from heat.  Toss pasta with the sauce, adding the grated cheese and seasoning to taste with pepper.  Stir in or top with grilled chicken.  Enjoy!

I pulled a couple of those Herbed Asiago Rolls from last week out of the freezer and popped them in the oven and had a nice spinach salad alongside my bowl of pasta...delicious!  Made for a terrific dinner on such a cold night!  We will definitely be eating leftovers of this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment