Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quick and easy casserole...

We've all had those nights..."Darn it, I forgot to thaw something for dinner but I don't want to eat out."  or "Oops, we don't really have anything to thaw but I don't want to eat out."  This is where your creativity has to kick in, like mine did last night!

Case in point:  no dinner plan at 5:30 and starting to get hungry.  What do I have?  A quick survey of the fridge and I notice that I still have a pound of Velveeta and I have one of the packs of ham from Christmas Eve thawing.  Upon further consideration I realize I have half a bag of mixed veggies in the freezer and plenty of rice I could make.  Bingo...instant casserole.  Not exactly gourmet, but think of it as comfort food. 

Quick and Easy Casserole

3 cups cooked rice
8 oz. Velveeta cheese
1/2 cup milk
10 oz. mixed veggies, thawed (can use anything you have, really...spinach, broccoli, etc)
2 cups cubed ham
1/2 cup cheddar cheese

Combine Velveeta and milk and microwave until melted through.  Stir in ham, veggies, and rice.  Transfer to a greased 9x13 pan and top with cheddar cheese.  Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Enjoy!

See...dinner can be quick and easy even if you forgot to plan. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment