Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Pesto Platform

Sorry to be away so long folks!  It's been a busy summer but I'm back and have so much to catch you up on!  I wanna start with my simple pesto recipe that I will build off of for the rest of this week.  If you like pesto, you'll love these recipes!  Let's get started!

So I had a TON of basil ready to go in my garden a couple weeks ago so I decided it was time to harvest and put it to good use...just enough for a great big batch of pesto!  My pesto calls for walnuts and pine nuts but if you would prefer a walnut free version, there are plenty of others out there to choose from!

Perfect Pesto

1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 Tbls. minced garlic (more if you like)
5 cups fresh basil leaves
pinch of salt
generous amount of fresh ground black pepper (I said generous, not crazy)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups EVOO (I went for the full 1 1/2 for this batch)
1 cup parmesan cheese

Process nuts and garlic in your food processor before adding basil, salt, and pepper and continuing to process.  Slowly add in oil through the processor's spout while the processor is on for perfect blending.  Once all oil is incorporated, add cheese and process one last time!  (If you have a mini-prep processor, you'll be happy to know this whole batch will fit if you add your basil in two additions.  You'll also want to add your oil in about three separate additions since you have to stop the processor to add.)

Serve immediately over pasta or store in the fridge for a week or two with a thin film of oil on top (it will create one for itself in time but it never hurts to add a little drizzle once you have it in its storage container.) 

Next up...more ways to use your pesto!  Stay tuned! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment