Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The other white meat...

Sorry to start the blog and then leave everyone hanging for an extended weekend but I spent the past 4 days sharing some delicious food and memories with my family!

As many of us prepare for the "back-to-school season" I thought I'd scour the grocery ads that had filled up my mailbox while I was gone for deals on some delicious summertime yummies. Now pork is a meat that is easy to enjoy year-round in the oven or slow cooker, but there's nothing like pulling a slab of ribs or a perfectly marinated pork tenderloin off the grill. I was pleased to see that all three stores have similar pricing this week on this global favorite so you're sure to get a good deal no matter where you shop! Pork fun fact: Did you know that the United States is third in pork consumption with the European Union coming in #2 and China leading the drove?? What a bunch of oinkers!

Ribs: a summertime staple. This is not an entree I "pig out" on often, which makes them that much more special. Dierbergs has them advertised for $2.99/lb., Shop 'N Save $2.97/lb., Schnucks $2.99/lb. And remember last Thursday's post? It's still peach season....try this recipe out on your ribs for something a little different from the traditional bbq flavor!

Pork Tenderloin: Now this was a hard one to find! Only Schnucks is advertising pork tenderloin prices this week but at $2.99/lb I'll definitely be picking some up! I've had pork tenderloin prepared dozens of ways but here are two of my favorite tenderloin recipes!

Tangy Tejano Pork Tenderloin (Homemade Gourmet)

5 lbs. pork tenderloin (unless you're shopping at Sam's Club you'll probably need 2 tenderloins)
4 Tbls. Homemade Gourmet Chicken Enchilada Soup Mix
2 cups orange juice
1 - 4oz. can diced green chilies, undrained

Place all ingredients together in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and smoosh ingredients to combine. Allow to marinate 2 hours or more in the refrigerator. Discard marinade and grill at medium high heat until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Click here to view nutrition facts and other cooking options!

Sesame Honey Pork Tenderloin

***I used this recipe as a base idea and changed ingredients according to what I had available in my fridge and pantry the day I made it and it still turned out amazing! Here I provide the actual recipe along with changes I made in the process. Enjoy it either way!

2 pork tenderloins, trimmed of fat (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/2 cup beer
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons sesame seeds **I omitted this...seems like a sin since it was in the title but I didn't have them that day and didn't miss them on the finished product!
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard **I used plain yellow mustard.
4 cloves garlic, minced **I used minced garlic from a jar...2 Tbls.
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons fresh rosemary **In the recipe they say the rosemary is optional (they use it as a topper/garnish on the finished product) but I decided to put it in with the marinade instead and really think it made the most flavor impact and would highly recommend including it!

Combine beer, honey, sesame seeds, mustard, garlic and pepper (**and rosemary if you are following my changes). Stir until the honey is combined. Place pork tenderloin in a large resealable bag. Pour marinade over top. Turn to coat. Refrigerator for 6 to 24 hours. Preheat grill. Place tenderloins over medium hot fire and grill for about 20 to 25 minutes or until done (165 degrees). Baste with marinade about half way through cooking time. When tenderloins are done, remove from grill and carve against the grain into thin slices. Serve with rosemary on top.

Enjoy "the other white meat" at your dinner table this week and I promise your family will thank you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment