Friday, September 11, 2009

Ask Lauren: back-to-back

Wow! I am so excited that "Ask Lauren" is taking off! Keep the questions coming! I could see this someday becoming its own blog....not anytime soon...just someday. :)

Anyway, today's question comes from my good friend, Natalie. Natalie likes to come up with clever "middle names" when she signs her emails and they always make me laugh...she signed the email containing her "Ask Lauren" question with "I-only-cook-snacks" as her middle name and I got a kick out of it so I thought I'd share.

Back to the question/request!

Question: I would like to make meatballs or lil' weenies for the Husker football game this Saturday, preferably in a crockpot. Any good recipes you can share?

Answer: Why yes, Natalie, I do have a recipe to share! This recipe comes from my mother-in-law and is yet another of my hubby's favorites. Hope you and all the other Huskers fans enjoy them tomorrow!

Cocktail Surprise Meatballs (I'm still trying to figure out what the surprise is....)

1 lb. ground beef
1 egg
1 sm. onion chopped
1/3 c. dry bread crumbs
1/4 c. milk
dash of pepper
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degree. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and roll into 1 inch balls. Place on greased cookie sheet (or line cookie sheet with foil) and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Drain fat.

Sauce for the crock pot

3/4 c. ketchup
1/3 c. grape jelly (maybe this is the surprise?)
1/3 c. water

Combine ingredients in a skillet, add cooked meatballs, and boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, covered.

Transfer to crock pot and enjoy!!

Thanks for the question! Keep em comin'! Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,
    In true Natalie form, I forgot an ingredient, so I had to use smashed up Caeser croutons in place of dried bread crumbs. No worries though, they turned out great and were enjoyed at two football parties on Saturday. Thanks Lauren's Leftovers! :)

    ReplyDelete