Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ask Lauren: Mini Post

So this edition of "Ask Lauren" wasn't really directed at my blog but a colleague of mine made a comment the other day about chocolate chip cookies that got me thinking to myself..."Hey self, I bet other people have this problem with their cookies too!" I thought I would share my little tricks.

The problem: Cookies always turn out flat and I can't figure out why.


The answer: Your butter is probably too warm when you cream it with the sugars!


The solution: Instead of microwaving your butter or margarine to soften it, slice it into small tabs and allow to sit out at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes to soften itself. If you get your butter out first and then gather the rest of your ingredients and bowls and mixers and everything else you need, wash your hands, etc, etc...it should be about ready!


Bonus trick: My sister taught me this one. :) (Thanks sis!) Ever wonder how some people get nice, puffy cookies with those neat cracks in them? Well, once you have mastered the puffy (above), all you need to do is bake the cookies, then drop them on the counter or stove top when they're done cooking. That's right, drop them! (not on the floor!) Literally take the cookie sheet out of the oven and let it fall a few inches onto your stove top or counter (be careful not to scratch it...might want to lay out a kitchen towel first). Voila! Perfect cookies every time!


Happy baking!

Oh and my sincerest apologies...I'm gonna have to skip out on the grocery ads again this week. Time has just completely gotten away from me. I promise I'll try to do that more regularly. In the meantime, you can check them out here if you're looking for something specific: Dierbergs, Schnucks, and Shop 'n Save.

No comments:

Post a Comment