Sunday, March 14, 2010

"...barely counts as cooking..." says Cooking Light

Made this recipe last week...it's definitely a new favorite, for several reasons.

1.  As Cooking Light put it, "This recipe barely counts as cooking, yet you can take full credit as everone devours it."  Word.  The "cooking" was a no brainer and took less than 10 minutes from start to finish.  Pretty much amazing in my book.
2.  The flavors were just divine.  Seriously...red wine vinegar and olive oil with fresh veggies and cheese stuffed ravioli?  Yes please!
3.  Clean up was a breeze since you cook all in one pot.
4.  Versatility!  Yes, that's right folks, if green beans and sun-dried tomatoes aren't your thing Cooking Light suggests "mixing it up" (yep, pun intended) with other veggies like bell peppers, red onion, tomatoes, garlic, fresh herbs, or anything else you may have around that sounds good to you!
5.  Do I really need to go on?  If you're not sold yet, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it!

Is your mouth watering yet?  I haven't even told you what it's called but I bet it is!  I give you...

Ravioli Toss (not as elaborate as you imagined?)

2 (9oz) pkgs. refrigerated whole wheat four-cheese ravioli
2 cups (2-inch) cut green beans (about 1/2 lb)
1/2 cup thinkly sliced sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil (about 6)
2 Tbls. olive oil
2 Tbls. red wine vinegar
4 plum tomatoes, chopped (about 1 lb)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup (1oz) shaved fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese

1.  Prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.  Add beans to pasta during last 5 minutes of cooking.  Drain.
2.  Combine sun-dried tomatoes and next 4 ingredients (through garlic) in a large bowl.  Add pasta mixture, salt, and pepper; toss gently to combine.  Top with cheese.  Yields 6 servings at 347 calories per serving.

But I'm not finished yet cause you know I can't just leave a recipe alone.  I'm always looking for ways to speed up the cooking process...here's what I did with this one.

First of all, I halved the recipe...there's just the two of us in my house remember?  I bought frozen cheese ravioli (22oz. pkg) and used half of it...it only takes 5 minutes to cook so I started the green beans right away with it and it was perfect.  I bought a resealable package of julienne cut sun-dried tomatoes (no oil) and just pulled out the 1/2 cup I needed...no slicing required.  You know me and my jar of minced garlic.  :)  I also omitted the salt...I don't like to add salt if I don't need to and this recipe definitely didn't need the added flavor so I left it out and saved some sodium.  I also was too lazy to buy a block of parm and shave it so I just used my shaker can of grated and tossed it in there and it was delish.

Amazing, delicious, and incredibly fast...perfect for a weeknight or rushed weekend meal when you just want something healthy and delicious without spending hours in the kitched with prep, cooking, and clean up.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment