Friday, March 12, 2010

Bread Pudding

Well friends, it has been far too long since I've been on here but I assure you I have been plenty busy cooking these past few weeks!  Today I just wanted to share a quick recipe (or rather, share quickly...).

I made this bread pudding about a month ago and it was just too good to keep to myself!  My husband and I love us some bread pudding so I went hunting for a recipe.  I found tons of them but I wanted it to be really good (note: not the healthiest choice...doh!) and for that, I turned to none other than Paula Deen.

Paula Deen's Best Bread Pudding

2 cups granulated sugar
5 large beaten eggs
2 cups milk
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
3 cups cubed Italian bread (allow to stale overnight in a bowl)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened (remember to soften it on the counter for about 30 minutes rather than in the microwave!)
1 cup chopped pecans

For the sauce...
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup brandy (I substituted whiskey)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 baking dish (I used glass).  Mix together sugar, eggs, and milk in a bowl; add vanilla.  Pour over cubed bread and let set for 10 minutes.  In another bowl, mix and crumble together brown sugar, butter, and pecans.  Pour bread mixture into prepared pan.  Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until set.  Remove from oven.

Sauce:
Mix together sugar, butter, egg, and vanilla in a suacepan over medium heat.  Stir together until the sugar is melted.  Add the brandy (or whiskey), stirring well.  Pour over bread pudding and serve warm.  Store leftovers in the refrigerator.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!  It took us almost a week to eat it all and when it was gone, it was a sad day at our house. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment