Monday, March 15, 2010

It's Greek to Me...

So this past Saturday I went over to a friend's house for dinner.  She is self-proclaimed "I don't cook" but holy smokes she is definitely not "I can't cook."  This girl took on some serious Greek cuisine...something I have never dared to do.  It looked beautiful, it smelled great, and boy oh boy did it ever taste incredible!  Hats off to her for this amazing meal...

Spanikopita--I've had this tasty treat in appetizer form before but never as the full casserole...I could have eaten the entire pan.  Phyllo sheets can be a real pain to work with but as long as you're up for the challenge, it's worth it!  Might be a little easier to manage the phyllo for the appetizer/bite sized form but who knows with that stuff.  

Stuffed Eggplant with Orzo, Lamb, Feta, and Tomatoes--This dish looks so complicated in its finished form but after reading the recipe I think it can be done.  It also helps that it can be prepped in advance and baked later...up to 2 days later!  Bonus!  Again, could have eaten the entire pan!!

Baklava --I haven't had this in years and I forgot what I was missing!  But again with the phyllo!!  I tell you what...she must be a master at phyllo after cooking this dinner.  Flaky, tasty, delicious.

These are all the exact recipes she used so I can personally give them my stamp of approval.  ;)  What I didn't manage to get, however, was her apple pie recipe....mmmmmmm.  Maybe apple pie seems a bit out of place in this menu but I promise once you see and taste her apple pie, you realize that it works just fine alongside any meal.  Wowee.  I will have to try to remember to get that recipe from her...if she's willing to share, that is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment