Thursday, May 20, 2010

Red, White, and....Pasta!

Bet you thought I was gonna say "blue."  :)

Last night I had thawed a couple turkey brats (a new discovery at Schnucks) but I wasn't really feelin cooking them on the grill...strange, I know.  Even after having Italian Tortellini Soup on Monday and gnocchi on Tuesday, I was ready for pasta last night.  (I really need to get off this carb kick.)  I wanted something different so I took inventory of the refrigerator and came up with this oh-so-tasty pasta dish!

Red and White Pasta with Turkey Sausage

2 turkey sausage links (I used turkey brats but really you could use any sort of sausage or turkey sausage)
EVOO
1/2 lb. shell pasta

Cook sausage links through in pan with EVOO (just a couple times around the pan with it.)  I sliced mine up just before it was finished cooking and through it back in the pan to finish up so it wasn't too done on the outside before being done on the inside.  Boil a pot of water and cook pasta while you make the sauces.

Red Sauce

1/2 shallot, chopped
1/2 jar Schnucks chunky garden veggie sauce
red pepper flakes, to taste
Italian seasoning, to taste

In the same pan you cooked the sausage in, add a little more EVOO if needed and the shallot.  Cook about 2 minutes, until soft.  Add sauce, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning and turn heat to low to simmer.  Add sausage to this sauce for the last minute or so before topping the pasta.

White Sauce

1/2 stick butter
minced garlic (I used about 1/2 tsp I would guess)
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
pepper, to taste
California onion powder, to taste

Melt butter in a pan and add garlic.  Add cream and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.  Add pepper and onion powder and stir.  Add cheese just before serving to thicken. 

To plate, scoop desired amount of pasta into a shallow bowl.  Top with white sauce.  Top with red sauce and sausage.  Top the whole thing of with fresh grated parmesan cheese if you have it.  (or just use a little extra from the shaker)  Enjoy with some crusty bread!

The hubby and I really enjoyed this one so I'll have to make it again sometime!  Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment