Monday, May 3, 2010

The Whole Wheat Craze Continues...

Perhaps you will recall a few weeks back when I posted about the Mixed Berry Whole Grain Coffee Cake.  Remember?  It's the only thing I posted in April?  Sheesh...seriously what was I doing all last month?!  Well that was delicious...and it caused me to purchase a bag of whole wheat flour so lately I have been looking for ways to use the rest of it.  Lucky for my hubby, I got the idea to make pancakes with it a couple weekends ago so I got to work looking up various whole wheat pancake recipes.

This particular recipe on Cooks.com caught my eye first...Quick Mix Whole Wheat Pancakes.  I like quick.  I gave it a whirl on a Saturday morning, then ate them again on Sunday and Monday when we realized how many pancakes it made.  Not that it was a bad thing to have so many pancakes, but I was done with them after Sunday.  These pancakes were ok.  Yes, just ok.  We spread apple butter all over them which was delicious but they were pretty heavy and the texture was borderline strange.  Needless to say, I was disappointed.

This past weekend, I was again thinking about whole wheat pancakes.  I knew I could do better than that past recipe so I thought back to the things that were so good about that coffee cake from Easter.  Mmmm...mixed berries.  Would have made a good topping but I didn't have any and it wouldn't have helped the actual pancake itself.  Next...mmmm...oats.  I like oats in cookies and coffee cakes but I wasn't really sure what to do with them as far as pancakes go.  Scratch that.  Then I remembered that the coffee cake used half whole wheat flour and half "regular" white flour.  Hmm...now we might be on to something.  I got back to my research to try to find a recipe that used this flour blend and found a handful.  I settled on this one but decided to cut it in half. 

Favorite Whole Wheat Pancakes (How can you not like something with "favorite" in the title?)

Then I realized we were out of milk...doh!  Well, water it is.  So here's exactly what went into my bowl and, eventually, onto my griddle.

3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 Tbls. baking powder
1 Tbls. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1 1/8 c. water (instead of low fat milk)
1/8 c. vegetable oil

Preheat griddle to 350 degrees.  Pour 1/3 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake.  Cook until bubbles form on surface, check to see if golden on underside and then flip.  Cook until golden on both sides.  Makes 6-8 pancakes.

These were SO much better than the first recipe.  We straight up ate these bad boys with syrup and they were tasty, tasty, tasty.  I would definitely make them again...maybe with milk...but they were great with just water so I'd be tempted not to mess with em.  We'll see how that goes.

While we're on the topic of pancakes...do you have an electric griddle?  You should...even if you ONLY use it for pancakes.  (I occasionally break mine out for bacon or other goodies but most often it's for pancakes.)  I happen to own the Presto Cool Touch Electric Skillet which I purchased at Kohl's the day after Thanksgiving two years ago for $10.  Gotta love those Black Friday specials right?

No comments:

Post a Comment