Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Sage...a little green?

So a couple weeks ago I finally got around to paying a visit to Sage in the Soulard/Benton Park area.  It's right by the AB Brewery, in case you are unfamiliar with the area.  I had been hearing some really great things about Sage so I had been meaning to give it a shot. 

I brought along a good friend (Hi Erin!) and made a reservation for 8:15 on a Friday night.  (Reservations are prefered at Sage.)  We arrived just a bit early and decided to get a glass of wine at the bar...which took forever.  A worker, who I presumed was a bartender since she was behind the bar, came close enough for me to get her attention so I asked for a couple glasses of wine.  Her response, "I don't bartend."  And she finished what she was doing and walked away.  No nudge to the other two bartenders or anything to acknowledge us.  Kinda weird.  So our table was ready right around 8:15 so that was great.  It's a pretty small place with about 20 (or less) tables in the main dining area...no wonder reservations are preferred!  There are a couple tables in the bar that are open seating but don't count on getting one unless you are getting there early. 

By the time our server came over we had already decided what we wanted to eat so we placed our orders right away.  An hour and 15 minutes later (9:30) we got our food.  In the meantime, our server had come by to apologize several times saying they had a very large party upstairs (aha...must be a private room).  We were given some bread to hold us over (a good thing with how late it was) and Erin was given a "complimentary" glass of wine (we were definitely charged for it on the bill).  Interesting.  Dinner came and was decent but nothing that wowed me.  I have a feeling the very long wait for the food played a part in that though.  I had the Boursin Sun-dried Tomato and Proscuitto Stuffed Chicken Breast and Erin had the Pecan Encrusted Boneless Pork Chop.

When we were finished, our server (who really was very polite and apologetic about the whole ordeal...I do have to give him credit for that) came with the bill and gave us 50% off for being so nice about the tardiness of our meal.  I think that was more than generous so it pretty much made up for the wait!  He also commented that we would have to come back on a less busy night to get the full effect.  I'm not sure how to determine what night that would be since the place is so small but I plan to give it another go.  Maybe this time around I will bring the hubster with me. :) 

Have you been to Sage?  What was your experience?

1 comment:

  1. Stephen's been there a bunch for work and has never loved the food...I think it sounds overrated. There are so many great places to eat - why spend your time and money someplace that let you down (unless they gave you a GC to come back for free!)

    ReplyDelete